Girls and Boys Clubs of Greater Lowell

Early accounts tell the story of the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Lowell as it began over a century ago, when the Boys Club was organized by a man named Eastman, the field secretary of National Boys Club. He became the first director in 1900 with the support of "Messrs, MacBrayne, Nourse, Page, Pickman and Southworth serving as the original directors."


Items associated to - James C Dragon


Their mission: "to help street boys, many of whom would spend their evening on the streets and in bad company, but for the Club."


In 1906, Lowell became one in the national leaders of the Boys Club movement, joining 53 member organizations as an affiliate in the Federated Boys Clubs. Their collective aim was to inspire and enable all young people from disadvantaged circumstances to realize their full potential as productive responsible and caring citizens.


Locally, effort was aimed at providing the young with a safe place to learn and grow at a time when men and mill girls toiled in textile factories to meet the challenges facing young families in the industrial revolution. Under the leadership of local corporate support, The Lowell Boys’ Club Association was established at 225 Dutton Street.


Decades later, the challenge for a new and better equipped facility was met by a new generation of Boys’ Club alumni. In 1970, the George A. Demoulas Clubhouse opened on Middlesex Street. As community needs evolve, so too has the Club.


In 1995, recognizing the need to extend our youth development programming to females, the Club began admitting girls, becoming the The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Lowell.


Club programming continues to reflect the changing needs on the community. Program space has adapted to meet changing educational, social and recreational needs. The facility is equipped with a Learning Center, Technology Center, Teen Center, Arts Studio, double gymnasium, Teen Fitness Center, Active Zone, Games Room, Kitchen, photo lab, greenhouse, and several meeting spaces.


With more than 100 years of history, the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Lowell has been serving generations of the community’s youth with a safe place to learn and grow.


check out that - James C Dragon

Write a comment

Comments: 0

This is the sidebar.

Contact

 

This section is visible on every page of your website. The sidebar is a great place to put important information like contact details, store hours, or social media links. If you build an online store, the shopping cart will appear here.